Friday, November 27, 2009

Village of Yakakoy

I had another amazing opportunity to go with the Humanitarian Missionaries to a village called Yakakoy. It is a mountain village about 2 1/2 hours away from Izmir. It was an incredible day and there were multiple times I felt like I was in a movie. The mountains and scenery were amazing and there were so many things I never in my whole life would have expected to see. Just another adventure to add to the list of things I've done while in Turkey...


Look at this cute little lady. Huseyin rolled down his window and yelled "Hello my mother! How are you?" And she responded "Hello my dear son, please come in and visit." It just tells you about the Hospitality of Turkish people. She has no idea who Huseyin is but yet she wanted us to come in and visit with her.
The playground
The Art class! I would ask them to hold up their drawings and they would get so shy! So cute!
The Art Room
The girls playing at recess. They love to tap me on the shoulder and say "Hello my name is Beya. What is your name?" That is the only English they know but they love to practice!

When we first arrived to the school they put on a little assembly. I met a bunch of the adorable children and they would all run and pick me flowers! They made me feel so special! When the assembly was over we went and had a meeting with the Principal. After the meeting we went around to each classroom and said goodbye! When we went into one of the classrooms a sweet little girl had drawn me this picture and taped flowers to the paper. I loved it!



The cute little Kindergartners!
The boys were so funny. When we were getting ready to leave they would poke their heads out the school windows and yell "BYE!" and every time I would turn around say bye back they would giggle and duck down in the window. They did it multiple times and each time they would laugh harder and harder!
The Teachers and Staff of the school.
Kindergartners
They brought me flowers during the assembly
1st Graders

These are Huseyin's friends. They live in the city that is about 30 minutes before the village. We stopped at their house for lunch. We were expecting a light lunch or even just a few snacks...but NO they gave us a feast!
Pita with meats and cheeses
This is the table when we were finished. Pomegranates, mandarins, pita, tomatoes, lettuce, fruits I've never seen and a yogurt drink!
The Village we went to visit. It looked like a movie...


A man selling Mushrooms on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere! I guess there are famous mushrooms that only exist here in Turkey. I wish I would have taken a better picture of them but they are PINK! They look so interesting! This man wanders through the mountains and sleeps in the mountains until he has sold enough mushrooms to return home. What an interesting life.
I didn't dare try a mushroom. I am sure it would do something a little "special" to you if you know what I mean!
This is the end of another adventure I will never forget! There will be plenty more to come!

2 comments:

cheri said...

wow again! it is like you are living in a documentary ! I'm glad you are posting all the cool things you do. When we come I'm up for any and all of it!!! xoxo ~C

Kim said...

Those kids are so cute. The boys totally had a crush on you! I love all of their school uniforms and I want to go hang out with the cute old lady that wanted you guys to come visit her!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...