Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I am lucky...

Today I had a life changing experience. I will remember this day forever. I was able to go with the Humanitarian Missionaries to deliver about 50 of 250 wheelchairs that LDS Charities sent to Turkey. The people that received the wheelchairs all have some sort of handicap that you will see in the pictures below. These pictures don't even do these amazing people justice. They are so happy, outgoing, energetic and such sweet people. They act as though they have nothing to complain about. They get around in different ways and have just learned to adapt to their handicaps and make the best of them. Not only are the people with the handicap amazing but also their families which help to take care of them and practice constant patience.
These are the wheelchairs being unloaded off the truck.
These are some of the people that are members of the wheelchair Basketball team. They were here to support the charity and were so excited for the people receiving the wheelchairs. If you notice the man down on his knees his feet have been amputated. He makes the best of this by walking around on knee pads that he hand built for himself. He plays on the wheelchair Basketball team and is married to one of the woman that got a wheelchair today!
This sweet man scoots himself around on his hands and bum. He doesn't ask anyone for help and gets around as if there is nothing wrong with him. He even lifted himself up onto this bench.
Some of the family and friends of the people receiving wheelchairs today.
She is the head of one of the charities that arranges activities for people with handicaps. She is an amazing lady and you would never even guess there is anything wrong with her by the way she manages to get around and take care of everyone else.
She would call me "sister" today because we both have blonde hair! She is so sweet and is my same age!

She is still in a wheelchair from when she was a young child. It is way too small for her and it hurts her back to sit in such a small chair so she was ecstatic to be receiving a new wheelchair that will actually fit her!

HE GOT HIS WHEELCHAIR!! He was so cute and grateful. He was raising his hands up in the air and clapping when they lifted him up into the chair.
One of the guys from the wheelchair Basketball team putting together a new wheelchair for someone to receive.





This dad has carried around his son for 18 years everywhere they go because he hasn't had a wheelchair. The whole family was so excited and grateful to get this wheelchair so that it will be easier to take him out places!

The girl in the wheelchair is married to the guy on the left that wears the kneepads to get around. They are the cutest and happiest couple. They take such great care of each other.
I am so happy that I was able to go with the Humanitarian Missionaries today. I have realized through experiences like this that Ryan and I haven't been sent to Turkey just for Basketball. I am learning everyday that I have so much to be thankful for! I feel like the people that we are able to help end up changing and inspiring me more then we change/help them!

10 comments:

Kim said...

Those people are incredible! How cool that you got to be there.

Betsy said...

love love love this. what an awesome experience!

Brittany said...

Umm...this post made me cry. Beautiful.

McKell and John said...

wow, what an amazin gday! You got me all teary eyed!! You are so great. Love you.

Ashley Hardison said...

well aren't you just amazing. I always knew you would do things to change peoples lives. You are such a great person. I guess being in Turkey isn't too bad.

jenna said...

jess came across your blog through lindsays'. you look awesome and are doing such good in turkey. you should be proud!

i've been there a couple times and i love the country and people. hope you are having that kind of experience :)

Brooke and Mike said...

WOW! How amazing! I cannot believe that one guy has carried his son around for 18 years. I love that the church was able to help out! Way to go girl!

McGuire's said...

What a sweet experience Jessica. Made me want to cry. That's really neat you got to do that. emily

LP & TP said...

Hey Pretty Girl! YAY! I found your cute/fun BLOG! :) BLOG's def. keep me from going crazy.... I'm so happy you have one! It really is so fun to look back on it & remember all the fun/interesting stuff you guys go through together.
xoxo

Princess of Almight said...

This is so beautiful.

It would have been such a beautiful feeling to look at their faces and talk to them.

I am a wheelchair user myself and live in London I would like to help arrange for some wheelchairs me and my friends have wheelchairs which we used but in excellent shape and were very expensive and we will like to donated them can you provide me the address of the woman you said arranged charities i would love to talk to her and arrange for the wheelchairs to be send.

my email is shobhabawa@yahoo.com

Thank you.

God Bless

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...