Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fresh out of luck...

Today was such an interesting day! I am happy to report I made it to church successfully after the 45 minute drive and walking around a random street in a random city for about another 15 minutes! You should have seen me...an 8 month pregnant chick hiking up and down this huge hill trying to find the building. Let's just say it was a relief when I finally saw the sign and knew I had made it. The people were great and a lot of people spoke English which was fantastic! (Yes dad I am working on my Italian! Don't worry!) I was so happy to be there!
Here is the funny part. I needed gas to get home or else I would not have made the drive back. I pulled up to a gas station and put money into the machine outside because the insides of the stations are closed on Sundays. Usually people come out and pump your gas so I don't deal with the machines too often. They do it for free!! I love it! I put in 20 Euro and pushed the number 4 for the pump where my car is parked. The machine said the same thing it usually does and so I walked over to put the gas in my car but no money showed up at my pump. What? I walked back to the machine looked again and of course the whole screen has cleared. No receipt has printed out. NOTHING! I walked back and forth over and over again just hoping that the money would show up on the screen so I could just put a little bit of gas in to make it home! I checked every single pump because I didn't know if for some reason I had accidentally put in the wrong number. Also, there wasn't a single person in sight to help me. I was fresh out of luck. Let's just say the machine ate my money and that station got a little tip. I was bummed...I hate when stupid things happen like that. But, all well! It could have been worse! I just wish there would have been someone there to laugh with! I made it home but stressed pretty much the entire drive that I was going to be stranded on the Autostrada with every person I know being in Milan for the game. I did have a little bit of good luck because I made it home with about 5 miles of gas to spare! PHEW!

I had to add these because I was going through old pictures and came across these of Ryan with our nephew Benton this summer. Aren't these so cute? Let's just say I can't wait to see Ryan as a dad. If my nephews think Ryan really is a superhero then I wonder what our son will think of him!


5 comments:

kim huish said...

Oh boy! I wish I had been there with you to laugh! I can just picture you running back and forth trying to figure out what happened to your money. That stinks it got eaten! I'm glad you barely made it home!

Sam and Sadie said...

You are crazy! Just like Kim, I can imagine you and laugh at the thought of it! Glad you made it home with gas to spare! Love ya!

Annie said...

jess hi! I just read your post before this most recent one and just wanted to tell you that I totally admire you for appreciating your time living outside of the country. I remember feeling homesick when I lived away for just 2 1/2 months - and I wasn't even pregnant! Anyway, you're totally great and Ryan and that babe on the way are so lucky to have you!

Mandy Radman said...

I loved this post! Not so much about you being scared you would run out of gas... just the machine eating your money part! It reminded me of a time I couldn't figure out how to buy a bus ticket in Rome, so this anciently old nun came to my rescue... I'm pretty sure instead of thanking her I just confused her with my broken Italian!... p.s. you are the cutest pregnant lady ever!!!

Ainges said...

Hi Girl! and Ryan! I just caught up on a the last couple of posts. I love reading your posts! And I can't wait to be there with you guys for a day or so! And I can't wait to see Baby Toolson! I loved the post about your lonely day and how it changed when you talked to the mission president lady. It made me think how much I actually loved all that alone time I had when we were in living out on our own! Hope you are well! Xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...