Saturday, March 19, 2011

I love nice people



Ok folks. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining when I say this because I think that having the opportunity to live in Italy (or any Foreign country for that matter) is absolutely amazing. I believe it is a once in a lifetime experience and I love the adventure BUT I'd be lying if I said there aren't days where I get pretty homesick. I don't know if it's because I'm so far along in the pregnancy which makes me want more family/friends around or if it's because I have way too much free time on my hands that I find myself longing for home where I'm busier. There are lots of weeks that fly by but there are also days that seem as long as one week. Today is the first day that Ryan has been gone on a road trip from this new city. Let's just say I am still completely lost. I know my way to the grocery store and home. That really is all. All day yesterday I would ask Ryan what I should do when he leaves. I'll be honest, I've been feeling clingy to Ryan lately. Poor guy is probably sick of me! He just kept saying take some good naps while you can because before you know it the baby will be here! So after he left I did exactly that. I took a nap. Then I was so bored so I got out on a nice walk. It was beautiful outside and it felt so good to get my big body moving. I am definitely starting to slow down the bigger I get! What used to be easy is now feeling like a marathon. When I was out on my walk I found myself beginning to feel sorry. I was feeling like the time can't go fast enough for our families to start visiting. I can't wait to have them here to see faces from home and to enjoy their company! Pretty much I started moping and thinking I have it so hard which to be honest isn't like me. I was being a baby. I was really enjoying being outside and getting exercise until I let myself start complaining about how far away I am from all of my family and friends. I finally felt like I needed to say a prayer. As I was walking I just asked Heavenly Father to help me remember all of the many blessings I have been given and how I really just needed some comfort in this time of feeling so alone. I went home and remembered that I needed to call the mission home to get the time and address for church tomorrow. We wanted to go to church last week but plans were changed when Ryan got a really crazy virus which kept us locked indoors for about 4 days. I called the mission home and this sweet lady answered. Immediately I was feeling happier! The sound in her voice just when I heard her say "Hello! This is Sister _____ how can I help you this beautiful day!" I don't even remember her name. I started telling her who I am and what I needed help with which led her to ask me more questions which then led us to a conversation. I ended up telling her that I'm pregnant and that we just barely moved here to this new city and our little life story. She was so kind and it was exactly what I needed. She kept calling me "dear" and "sweetie" which just made me want to give her a huge hug. She kept telling me how happy she was that we were here and that she just knew everything would work out great for us. She was so relieved when I told her my mom was coming from the States to be with me for when the baby is born. She told me if she wasn't coming then she wanted to come from Milan and help me. She was so helpful and tender. I know she has no clue that our little conversation actually completely changed my day. There were even times when my eyes were filled with tears because I knew she was a tender mercy from the Lord. This all happened in the early afternoon when it's way too early to call someone from home to cheer me up. I got off the phone with a completely changed attitude and was actually thinking to myself how silly I was for being negative earlier. What a waste of energy to be negative! The point of my story is we really don't know how much we can change someone's day by just being kind. I could feel her patience and love through the phone. I also know that Heavenly Father heard my prayer in this small time of need and He knew she was exactly what I needed. If she only knew how much her sweet spirit changed my day! Hopefully I can take advantage of opportunities as simple as this to help someone through their day.

9 comments:

Brittany said...

Well, I feel like moron. I'm having a hard time with our move and we only moved to Salt Lake! You are amazing Jess. Isn't it great what one person can do to totally make you feel like you're home (or almost home) again? Hope the last few weeks of your pregnancy go smoothly!

Hayley Baum said...

what a great story jess :) Hang in there-- I can commiserate, while NC is still in the US- -it feels like a foreign country, (I certainly can't be the same nationality as all these obese nascar watchers, right?) and it's easy to feel alone and stranded.

Hang in there-- dig in and make friends. I hope your new ward is wonderful!

Stefanie Bell said...

I am so glad you have people around you, who are so nice and want to help you!! The church is so amazing, we are so lucky that we have people all over the world who love us!! Be happy because you only have a couple more months until you come home and we can play everyday!! love you!!!

Rachel Angela Clark said...

I don't know if you've seen this video, but it's one of my favorites, and reminded me of your story...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk980jV7Ao
You really never know when you can change someone's day just by saying something nice. Thanks for the post gorgeous, it really made my day better! :)

Unknown said...

jess,
i ran into your parents at days market yesterday and it was such a treat to see them. your mom told me about being really excited to come out and spend some time with you, sister, and baby. Good luck with these last few weeks.
love from the states.

Cason and Marie said...

This made me tear up a little bit. I just love you jess! I hope your days go by a little quicker until that baby comes. And your mom will be there before you know it. You are so positive through this whole experience. It will only make you stronger. :) xoxo

kim huish said...

Sister! I'm sad you were feeling lonely but I'm so glad that sweet missionary was there to make everything better. This is such a sweet story and you are amazing. I can't wait to come out and see you! All week in St. George, we just kept talking about you and how much we miss you.

Sam and Sadie said...

Ok...you have grown into such an amazing woman! The church is such a blessing in our lives. What a wonderful tender mercy you had. I am proud to call you my sister! We missed you terribly all week. Next time you can call me anytime of the day or night-I mean it! LOVES!

sherrie said...

Loved this post....you don't have to be postive ALL the time! Everyone relates to having bad days and needing heavens help. I too love nice people...like you! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...