Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas Prep/Birthday

It never feels like Christmas season until I have my Christmas tree up and ready.  I've been waiting and waiting for the day to come that we put up our tree. We got so lucky this year because my friend Laura that is here had an extra tree! She is letting us borrow her tree so all we had to buy was the decorations.  So nice of her since we have now left behind two Christmas trees at the end of each season.  Thursday night was what I like to call the perfect holiday night.  We started off the night at Ikea to buy some decorations.  Ikea always pulls through for me.  In a country that doesn't celebrate Christmas it is so fun to show up and see an entire Christmas section at Ikea.  We loaded up on ornaments and then of course had to indulge in some swedish meatballs. I'm never too big of a fan but Ryan loves them!  I like the french fries dipped in the gravy! Healthy, I know.  After Ikea we went to Kipa to find ANOTHER Christmas section! WOO HOO! Next we indulged in what I would consider one of the best parts of the night....Starbucks! A peppermint hot chocolate and a salted caramel hot chocolate. Both were delicious and we can never decide what we like better so we get both and share!  After an evening out in the crisp, cool air we headed home to decorate our tree.    
 We got home, put Asher to bed and turned on Home Alone. Let the decorating begin...
 Yes, that's a paper snowflake as our tree topper. I had to get crafty! I actually like it!


 Asher woke up the next morning and was so excited when he saw the tree. He loves the lights and is constantly trying to stand up and pull the tree down.

I had a Birthday! Unfortunately Ryan was out of town for my Birthday.  It actually wasn't a big deal because I was able to go enjoy some Christmas festivities with Asher.  We had our own little date night. We got all dressed up to go to the International Women's group Dinner at the Swiss Hotel. We rode over to Alsincak on the ferry with my friend, Devon.  The Swiss Hotel was decorated so beautifully! I didn't stay for the dinner because it would have been hard with Asher.  I just went and shopped around at the booths they had set up before the dinner. I bought Asher some fun wooden toys and met some other American, Australian and German women! After the dinner I met up with some NATO families and went to the Anglican church for their Christmas tree lighting.  This was the perfect ending to our holiday night. Asher loved the huge, beautiful tree and made gasping sounds when they turned on the lights.  I'll admit, I got a little teary eyed singing Christmas carols with other people who celebrate the birth of our Savior around a beautiful tree. The chapel was beautiful, I felt the spirit as we sang and what's more fun then enjoying these things for the first time with Asher! The only thing that could have made it more fun is if Ryan were there.

 The gingerbread house at the Swiss Hotel.  Made out of REAL gingerbread, frosting and candy! It was amazing!
 One of the booths had cake pops, adorable cakes and sugar cookies! I know who will make Asher's 1st year cake!
 Asher wanting the cake pop. I may have given him a bite...
 The ballroom decorated for the dinner.  Wish I could have stayed! It was lovely.
 The tree lighting
 Asher loved to touch the ornaments and lights.
 Asher made a new friend!  They giggled, poked each other and hugged for about fifteen minutes.
Some of the NATO families kids.  I have met some amazing families and am really enjoying getting to know them.  Their kids are so sweet with Asher and it's refreshing to speak in english and carry on a normal conversation. Such kind people and I'm grateful to have met them!  
It was a great Birthday!

1 comment:

kim huish said...

What a great night! Wish I was there so I could have baby-sat Asher so you could go to the dinner.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...