Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving x 3

This year we were lucky enough to celebrate Thanksgiving THREE times.  I usually have a rough time around this season and Christmas because it's just not the same as being at home.  This year I wanted to do things different and go to the extreme to make up for distance between us and family.  We had our own Thanksgiving just the 3 of us, a huge Thanksgiving that I hosted with a friend and then celebrated with our branch.  It was definitely enough celebrating and it was a special year! 

 Thanksgiving day! We woke up to a little Turkey in our home!
 A scaled down Thanksgiving feast since we're a little group. Chicken instead of turkey, no rolls (too much work for 2 of us) and roasted carrots instead of sweet potatoes. It was still delicious! 
 Asher was really excited about all of the food placed around him. He was lucky enough to try mashed potatoes and he loved them! I made stuffing from scratch for the first time. I'm still a "Stove Top" fan.
 As we were trying to take a picture Asher was more focused on getting some food then smiling for the picture...
 Success! See the carrot in his little fingers?  I love his face. "What mom?"
 Ryan showing off our very special box of See's chocolates I brought over with me from the States. We have been waiting and waiting for the day to open them.  It was well worth the wait. YUM!

 On Saturday night my friend Laura and I hosted a huge Thanksgiving for all of the American families we know here in Izmir.  It turned into a group of about 40 people!  It was such a great time. We had so much food and I think everyone had a great time getting together, being able to speak English, enjoying delicious food, playing some fun games and the opportunity to meet new people!  The best part of this party was that we were able to eat TURKEY and ham! You would think that turkey would be easy to come by in a country called Turkey.  Well, it isn't! It tasted delicious even though the lady cooking it showed up 2 1/2 hours late due to cooking the turkey on broil for the entire day! I love my friend Dianne. She's hilarious! Luckily the turkey was covered in foil and wasn't burned and when we were able to eat the big bird it was well worth the wait!  Talk about stressing out a hostess though! Also, I learned on this day how much easier it is to cook with your mom and sisters.  I woke up at 7am and cooked until 6pm.  I made pumpkin chocolate chip bread, lemon bars, apple crisp, creamed corn, waldorf salad, mashed potatoes and gravy!  My hands hurt the next day.  Literally.  But it was delicious!  
All of the pictures I took of the entire group are so blurry and dark they aren't even worth posting.  Here are a few pics.
 Some of the men and Misty enjoying a conversation with full tummies.
 Adorable Abby and Asher.  Abby is sweet and loves to carry around Asher for me and babysit him.  I need to hire her!
Our dessert table.  I easily gained two pounds just from the desserts.  The picture of all the food didn't turn out but we had A TON! 

 Brian (one of Ryan's team mates) and Misty his fiance.  

 One of the signs I made for the party.  I was actually impressed with my pilgrim turkey!

On Sunday we went to church and then enjoyed another Thanksgiving dinner with the branch.  
 Asher is always more then happy to take pictures with Ryan...
 then when it comes to me he does faces like this.  Silly boy.
 Our amazing spread of food just for the seven of us!  We had enough food for 20.
 Joel (far right) cooked the best turkey I have EVER had in my entire life.  In the bag, under 300 degrees for EIGHT hours.  It literally fell off the bone.  I've never eaten so much turkey in my life. No offense mom, your turkey is great too!

 We hope that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving! We enjoyed ours! 
Now onto the Christmas season! 

4 comments:

Megan Marie said...

you're adorable!!! i love ryan and asher all matchy matchy in their cardis! how adorable! looks like a very nice feast! the chocolates made me laugh!

Karly said...

Ok, can I just say wonder woman? I seriously cannot believe u cooked Dinner for 40 people all by yourself!! I would have died of stress! Good for u to keep busy when your feeling home sick though. Way to go girl :)

Cummards said...

WOW! That is awesome! I'm thinking that is the best way to go, just all out..otherwise I'm sure I'll be sitting around thinking about how sad I am that I'm not home! Asher is so so cute! You always have him dressed like such a handsome little man! We really have to get together this coming summer. Charlie and Asher will be at such a fun age to play!

kim huish said...

I could seriously go for another round of Thanksgiving dinner right now...minus all of the work. Way to pull it all off!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...