Sunday, December 4, 2011

Granola

This is too good not to share.  I have now made this homemade granola a few times and it is so delicious.  I thought it would be a fun Christmas gift for neighbors or even better, just keep it to enjoy all by yourself.  I literally ate granola and yogurt for two days straight while Ryan was out of town. I love to eat this with natural yogurt, bananas, kiwi, apples, pomegranate, pineapple or anything I have in my fridge at the moment.  They have delicious granola in the stores here but it is so expensive and is so sweet! This is the right amount of honey flavor but the best part is the roasted flavor it gets after baking in the oven. 


Here are a few tips:  
1:  I googled how to make your granola chunky.  If you like chunky granola also, here is how.  Take an egg white and whisk it until frothy.  Make your granola recipe as follows but before you bake it you mix in the egg white THEN bake.  Let it completely cool on the pan over night and in the morning you have huge chunks of granola.  Perfect.
2:  When I baked mine the first time I was worried that it was burning so be sure to stir it every 15 minutes.  My oven cooks very unevenly so I know that is a major part of the problem.  After I ate the whole batch by myself the first time I realized that the roasted/burnt flavor is actually something I really enjoyed! So, let it get a little toasty looking!  The best part is the almonds with the roasted flavor.
3: I only chop up dried figs and dried apricots for mine. I think it's the perfect combination. My mouth is watering. 
Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

Betsy said...

That looks so delicious!! I definitely will be trying it!

kim huish said...

I want this right now!

sherrie said...

I have tried to leave you so many comments (like happy bday) but sometimes it won't work on my phone....i'll try again! Ashers getting so big and looks like while ryan is killing it on the court - you're killing it in the kitchen- hurry home so you can teach me! Miss ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...