Friday, April 13, 2012

Life in Turkey

I feel like I never really talk about the fact that we live in Turkey.  It doesn't seem foreign to me anymore and it seems as though I can do everything here that I can do at home. Well, almost.  I wanted to do a random post on life in Turkey so that we can remember what it was like living here.

People are very friendly and touchy even when you first meet them
They love babies and constantly want to touch Asher. They are always wishing him well and telling me "Masallah" which means God bless
There is no such thing as an organized line at the grocery store, movie theatre, basketball games, bathrooms etc.
Everyone smokes and they start around the age of 14 - this erks me
I very rarely see anyone wearing a burqa even though everyone is Muslim.  Everyone in our area is very fashionable and they dress better then me, which really isn't saying much! I live in sweats
There is a MAC makeup store at the mall
Kids don't sit in car seats
The majority of people stay up really late at night and sleep in until about eleven
Everyone drives like maniacs which results in us driving crazy also but they never honk or get mad at each other it's just a "hey, I'm behind you" sort of honk- it's awesome
The food is delicious as long as you like healthy food! Chicken, a ton of fruits and veggies, cheese, honey, rice, bulgur and a ton of tomatoes and cucumbers
The seaside is absolutely beautiful 
Ataturk (google him) is almost as important as God.  First president of Turkey
When it is warm enough everyone is outside eating on their balcony, going for walks, sitting on park benches
There is incredible public transportation. buses, ferries, trains everything
Rarely do people actually stop at a stop sign
It's rare to have ramps or handicap access anywhere- hard with a stroller but that's just Europe
There are a ton of stray cats and dogs that surprisingly don't creep me out at all.  They are clean and all have been given their shots and they don't follow you!  The people always leave piles of cat and dog food laying out for them
We order big water jugs for drinking water
Family is very important to Turkish people
It's not rare to see a 10 year old driving a scooter on busy streets without a helmet
Food is very cheap here
We use the Turkish Lira for currency
I am always chastised for not having Asher in 600 coats and hats even when it is 70 degrees
It is a very relaxed lifestyle.  Time isn't always an issue and you get there when you get there
I look very foreign and so does Asher.  They can't believe he has blue eyes
I feel very safe
Gas is SO expensive
People walk along the massive highways like it's no big deal
I am always asked if I am breastfeeding accompanied by them patting me on the boob. I'm serious
People tell me at the gym I need to slow down before I break something.  Women do not run here
There are white taxis and yellow taxis.  White ones make stops along the way and do the same big circle over and over again.  It's really inexpensive but you ride with strangers.  Yellow work as they do anywhere else.
I like living in Turkey better than Italy
A LOT of people speak English and if they don't speak English I figure things out using charades or my broken Turkish
Hunger Games was in the theatre the same day as America!
We have KFC, Burger King, McDonald's, Subway, Little Cesar's, Pizza Hut, Domino's and Schlotzsky's Deli
Everywhere delivers here and it is FAST! Subway is at our door in no longer then 10 minutes
There are a lot of foreigners living here.  Many married to Turks or a lot are here working
There are incredible markets for produce and every random knick knack your heart desires

Another season is soon coming to a close.  Ryan is playing amazing, I have enjoyed living here again and it sure makes things more fun having Asher along for the ride.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica, yes. You say very true. I understand you. But a proud to live in Turkey. A very nice place in Izmir, Ataturk is a very important man. I love you. xoxo

kim huish said...

I loved this. "Are you breastfeeding?" pat pat. But seriously, you shouldn't run or you'll break something. (this is a great excuse for me to never run again!). One thing that is similar to here is the kids in clothes when its warm outside. Sometimes I see kids at the park and I think they must be sweating in there! One day, you and Ryan are going to have to show us around Turkey. I'd love to see it all firsthand.

Unknown said...

Haha Love the driving... wonder if that will be a hard adjustment to stop at stop signs when you come back to the States?

Glad you wrote this post, I've wondered if it's very different there! I hope to someday have you as a tour guide. Tell Ryan he needs to get a little more pushy with Brian about coming to visit!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...