Thursday, March 1, 2012

Equipment Free Friday!

Today I'll be posting my treadmill workout from yesterday and a workout that you can do at home not using any gym equipment for "Equipment Free Friday!!"  
I am always looking for ways to change up my cardio workouts.  I used to love spending an hour or more running my heart out at the gym.  Not anymore. I get bored really quickly and that's why I love to switch things up.  This is a 30 minute great treadmill workout I did yesterday. 

0-10  minutes start off with a slow jog/walk and by minute 5 you should be jogging at a comfortable pace.
10-12 minutes run at 80% of your maximum.  A quick pace, really pushing but not a full sprint.
12-13 minutes take it back down to a comfortable jog
13-15 minutes run again at your personal 80%.  You should be breathing heavily but again, not sprinting.
15-16 minutes bring it back to a comfortable jog
16-19 minutes take it back to 80% and push for three minutes
19-20 minutes take it to a comfortable jog.
Now sprints. A total of five- one minute sprints.
20-21 minutes is your maximum capability. You should be huffing but try your best to control your breathing and keep under control.  This should be at your personal 100%.
21-22 a brisk walk but at 21:50 start taking the treadmill back up to sprinting speed so that you get a full one minute sprint. Also, do this on the other brisk walks. Don't waste any of your minute sprint changing speed.
22-23 minutes sprint
23-24 minutes brisk walk
24-25 minutes sprint
25-26 minutes brisk walk
26-27 minutes sprint
27-28 minutes brisk walk
28-29 minutes sprint 
29-30 minutes brisk walk
Cool down for about five minutes.
I love doing this treadmill workout.  It's going to be one of my go-to quick cardio workouts over these next two months!

Now for "Equipment Free Friday!"  I'm going to do a workout at home today.  I don't have any weights, bands or gym balls.  I will only be using my furniture and me!
The point of these two different sets is to keep your heart rate up and burn calories.  Don't take forever in between each exercise.  Move quickly, but safely!

First, warm up. Jog in place for one minute and then do "butt kicks" for one minute but finish with "high knees" for 30 seconds. Are you warm? If not, continue running in place until you feel your body warm and maybe breaking a little sweat.
  
50 regular jumping jacks then 20 jumping jack squats (do regular jumping jacks but when your feet are apart you jump into a squat position and then feet back together. Squat, together, squat, together.  Arms are same as usual jumping jacks)
15-20 push ups
ONE minute wall sit (back up against the wall with your legs completely bent at 90 degrees)
15-20 Tricep dips (use a chair or low table or even just do them on the floor with butt lifted off of the ground! This too easy? Lift one leg.)
Repeat 3 times with only one minute rest in between sets.

Jumping lunges with arms straight above your head (get in lunge position with one leg forward.  Instead of stepping feet back together then proceeding with other leg, switch your feet by jumping and landing in lunge with opposite forward.) 
Crab Walk (sit on the ground with your hands, feet and bum on the floor.  Lift your bum and walk with hands and feet forward for 10 steps and then backwards for 10 steps.  Do this for one minute.)
Calf raises (one hand barely resting on the wall do 30 regular calf raises and then turn your feet out and do 30 more.)
Bicycle abs count to 50
50 crunches
Repeat 3 times with only one minute rest in between sets.
These sets should take you no longer then 30 minutes! Quick throw on some workout clothes and bust them out.

Let me know what you think!! Do these exercises at your own risk! I'm only sharing what I will be doing.  I hope you like the workouts but I'm not responsible if you hurt yourself doin' the crab walk!

Don't forget to do your www.hundredpushups.com test! I'll be starting the program on Monday!

Next week I will have a guest post from my great friend Emily. She is in the most incredible shape and really understands utilizing every minute of a 30 or 45 minute workout.  She is the queen of fitness and I refer to her as Jillian Michaels. Really. She's that great.

What did you think of these workouts!!? Let me know!

2 comments:

Cummards said...

Going to do this while lee is out of town and the treadmill next week...I'm glad I'm not the only one soo bored doing cardio on a machine!

Brandon and Katie said...

great workout jess! how's marathon training?? ;) :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...