Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Incredible Emily

I was lucky enough to meet what I consider to be a life long friend two years ago in Turkey.  We have a lot of things in common such as loving to cook, bake, paint our nails, wives living overseas and best of all a passion for exercise! Emily got me into tip top shape two years ago and we had a blast together!  She really knows how to get the most out of a work out. She makes things fun, quick and incredibly hard! She is very knowledgable in the world of fitness.  She has an amazing blog www.fitandwellalloverworld.blogspot.com where she shares recipes, workouts, tips and all sorts of fun stuff! She is legit. I mean it! Enjoy! 


(I stole a couple pictures from her facebook and blog because it's always more fun with pictures and I wanted you to see her rockin' bod!) 

Emily and her husband Dre currently live in Italy. 



Hey everyone! I'm so happy to be posting for Jess! I'm Emily Smith, and I am an ACE (American Council on Exercise) Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor. I am also in the process of becoming an ACE Health and Wellness Coach. My degree is in dietetics and nutrition and I quickly developed a fitness addiction in the last four years. Being overseas with my husband has helped me to expand my knowledge of becoming healthy and well no matter where we are at in the world.

My number one motto for working out is and always will be quality over quantity. If you're sweating and so tired you can't go another minute for 20 minutes, this (in my opinion) is so much better for you than hopping on a machine for 45 minutes and not breaking a sweat. 
So how do you know when you're working out at a high intensity without all of the gadgets? I use the 'talk' method. This is when you're going so hard, you can't have a conversation with anyone around you....only a few quick words here and there. If you could call somebody on your telephone to talk while doing a workout, you're not going nearly as hard as you could!
Let's get started!

After a good 5-7 minutes of a warm up, such as jump rope (you don't even need the rope) or jog in place, alternating with jumping jacks, or whatever it is that can get you to pump up your heart along with dynamic stretching. 
*Dynamic stretching is when you're moving as your stretch out your muscles: high knees, butt kicks, etc.
Keep in mind that this workout goes from one exercise to the next with no rest....after you've completed one full circuit. Take a quick water break then repeat up to two more times...yay!

1.) Now that you're good and warm, take out a kitchen chair or any chair, and place one leg behind on it, and one leg out front. From there, keeping your posture straight, lower to the ground and up. This is a one legged squat/lunge. You can pump this up and add something to hold onto for extra weight. Do 15 reps on each leg.

2.) Burpees! Yes, do 30 seconds of this exhausting exercise.

3.) Pushup Up/Downs-On all fours, in a pushup position, lower right elbow to the floor, then left,(such as in a plank) then pushup back up on right arm, and then with the left. That's one rep....do 9 more! (Total of 10)

4.) Squat Jumping Jacks-Lower yourself into a squat position. Keep hands behind ears and do jumping jacks with your legs...in and out as fast/hard as you can for 30 seconds...ouchy!!

5.) Tricep Dips-find that chair again and put legs straight out in front while you lower as far as you can and then back up for your triceps. Do 10-15 reps. To make it easier, pull legs in slightly bent. To make it harder, put some type of weight on your lap. 

6.) Mountain Climbers-On all fours on the ground, in a pushup position, pull in right leg to chest and quickly switch to left leg. Do this for 30 seconds.

7.) Regular sit-ups-Where did this exercise go?? I don't care what anyone says, this classic ab exercise builds a great core. If necessary, put feet under something to keep them down. Do 20 Reps.

Yay!!! Great work...take a quick water break and repeat.
After, make sure you cool down! Very important!!!!
*Take a walk around the block, or finish with some dynamic stretching along with static stretching (static is when you stay in one spot)



Thanks Em!!! Love you!

3 comments:

Megan Marie said...

you guys are incredible!!! jess...just so you know, i bought a gym pass last saturday and i've gone twice now. thanks to you! you really got me motivated! to get in shape and to be healthy!

post what you put in your shake with the beets or radishes or what ever that is...?

Sienna Savvy said...

Love this! Just the other day I was thinking about your killer warmups for dirty dancing at gold's ha! You should definitely write those up and either post it or send me a message to refresh my memory! xoxo

Kade and Brittany Wadsworth said...

Jess! I am totally using some of these workouts---hope you dont mind!! Love that you are doing this... and I WANT YOUR ABS!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...