Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Food Journal

I have been getting back in to classes at the gym. I have been going to spinning twice a week and tonight I even taught a hip hop class at the gym. Oh, how I miss teaching!! Kayla (previous guest post) was right about the atmosphere of a class. I love when people are surrounding me and are ready to sweat and get fit! Also, I love working out with a friend. It changes the entire workout. Especially a friend that pushes you to do more or helps you to get out and exercise! Don't have a friend you can work out with? Make a friend! The friend that I work out with a couple times a week is someone I actually met at the gym our first year in Turkey! Do you go to the gym at the same time every day and notice there is the same person there also? Talk to them (not to sound creepy!) You may be surprised that you have a lot of things in common and were both looking for a gym friend.

Now, the point of my post.  Have you ever kept a food journal? The first time I ever kept a food journal was when I had a personal trainer my Senior year of High School.  I was supposed to write down the time, portion size and what I ate.  I kept a little notebook in my purse and would pull it out after the meal.  Hard? Not at all. Since then I have kept a food journal a few different times. I never should stop, but I do.  Let me explain something.  There are two different ways to look at a food journal.  First, I'm not going to eat anything because I don't want to write it down or second, I am going to keep a food journal so that I can see what I should be eating that I'm not AND be mindful of what I'm eating.  The second is the right way to do a food journal. I love to look at my list before I go to bed. Did you go too long in between meals? Did you eat any fruit or veggies?  It is great to be more aware of what you are putting into your body and when.  Do I often times have to write about a cookie at 9? You bet ya! Do I worry about it? Nope.  My friend Emily will be doing a great post explaining how we should not diet. She will touch more on the "cookie at 9" subject.  Here is an example of my food journal today...

8:30am 2 scrambled eggs w/ 1 slice whole wheat bread
12:00pm leftover chili and an apple
3:00pm piece of toast with Peanut Butter and 1/2 banana
7:30pm Baked spaghetti using whole wheat noodles and a green smoothie- 1 banana, 2 kiwi, orange juice, 2 big handfuls spinach, orange juice, natural yogurt and 1 mango
9:00pm frozen banana treat!  I always have a little sweet tooth at night. This is amazing.  Tonight I added 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. 


Another thing that is good to write down (but I forget all the time) is how many glasses of water you drank throughout the day!
Looking at today I realized the only veggies I had was the spinach in my green smoothie.  Tomorrow I will remember to eat more vegetables through out my day.  It's hard when Ryan hates vegetables.  Trust me, I know I don't have the most perfect diet.  I eat a lot of carbs.  See the point though?! It's great! 


You should consider keeping a food journal to make sure you're fueling your body enough through out the day and feeding it with good, healthy food! 


Good luck!
Are you doing the hundredpushups challenge? ( I hear crickets chirping...anyone? anyone?) Well, it's not too late! Today I did 60 pushups as my max and I really am loving this program! Hop on board!

2 comments:

kim huish said...

60 pushups! Holy cow! That sounds amazing. Keep it up girl!

sherrie said...

I'm going to try the bananna treat!! Bananna milk shakes happen to be one of my tabs - this would be much better for me !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...