Wednesday, March 21, 2012

She is realistic...

I am so excited about this guest post! Say hello to Emily, again.  I asked Emily to do a post about food.  Yes, food...not the lack of food about how to eat and enjoy food.  A couple of years ago when Emily got me into the best shape I have ever been in, I was eating nonstop.  She taught me how to really enjoy food without stressing about every calorie.  We ate everything and anything but all in moderation.  I loved that I didn't feel like I should beat myself up after eating a cookie or that I could enjoy some french fries here and there.  Read what she has to say and you will also have a new outlook on food.  I love everything Emily has to say and for goodness sakes...if eating anything I want means I'll look like Emily then bring on the food!
Check out her blog HERE!
 Proof that she eats! (Isn't she such a cutie?)
And still looks like this...



"Just Say No.........To Diets!"

Hi everyone! I'm so happy to be able to post about this topic because I am extremely passionate about it. I do not, nor have I ever in my life believed in diets. I have always believed that moderation is the key to eating. This rule is so easy to apply to your daily routine because your body needs to eat!! When you starve yourself of a certain food, let alone calories, you will eventually binge on it later.....so how about this: just cut back. How to do this? Start slow. For instance, if everyday you have to have two sodas, or two vanilla lattes, try just having half today. Then in replacement, try some green tea, or a low-sugar drink.....and don't knock it until you try it! Then everyday, try to limit that particular must have to a healthy portion. Notice how I didn't say take it out! It's all about the quantity. How about that 3:00 snack time? Are you stuck on always having that bag of chips when you pick your kids up from school? This time, put together a healthy trail mix! The kids will enjoy too!Another important aspect to moderation is portion. Portion size is so important when eating a balanced meal/snack. There are a ton of resources for you to use to check the ideal amount of fruit, veggies, carbs, fat, protein, etc., so just as an example, if I'm having pasta tonight, I dish out the size of my fist as my portion. Then I try to fill up on fruit, a salad, and a piece of bread. (Yes, I eat bread or rolls, but only 1) Then of course, I always have dessert....but only if it's a home-baked goodie. How can you beat yourself up when you have a fresh, delicioius, home-baked goodie? Not me. Just don't eat the whole pan! Maybe you had a bagel as part of your breakfast, so then at dinner, don't eat any rolls/bread, just add in some extra veggies, or fruit!So let me break this down for you. To me, a diet is where you cut out a certain type of food group, such as carbohydrates, or when you cut back on too many calories, or simply put, you don't eat! In my opinion dieting only gives you a weight loss for a certain amount of time.....moderation is a lifetime diet! Lastly, how much activity to you get throughout the day? Are you fueling your body as much as you should....are you drinking enough water? In general, I believe people don't drink enough water. Not a fan of it? There are small packets at grocery stores to add in a little flavor to your bottled water. Your body can only go so far without any fuel in it, so take care of it and give it some delicious food!My top ten tips for healthy moderation!
1. Eat breakfast people: Most important meal of the day and it gets your metabolism rolling 2. Go ahead and snack: but keep them between 150-250 calories. (This will keep you from chowing down too much later)
3. Make your plate colorful: add in green food (spinach/salad), orange food (carrot/oranges), brown food (brown rice/whole wheat pasta) and yes, white food (homemade biscuit with a teaspoon of honey)!
4. Water, water, water: regardless if you have to have some soda, or juice with dinner or lunch, always pour a glass of water with it too.
5. Don't beat yourself up: Ok, you had two cupcakes after lunch today....big whoop! Who cares? Do you do it everyday? Then don't worry about. If you're still so upset, then do an extra 15 mins today of your workout.
6. Keep it active: can't make it to the gym today but have to run a million errands? Park the car farther away today....so that way you have to walk a bit more. Nice out? Go for a walk after dinner. At the airport? Take the stairs instead of the escalator to catch your next flight.
7. Plan ahead: before heading to the store for groceries for the week, write out what you plan to cook/prepare for the week. When we write it down, we're more likely to follow through. Plus, you won't feel tempted to swing through the drive through tonight because you already have something ready to go!
8. Eat people: eat when you're hungry, and drink something when you're thirsty....stop obssessing about it and enjoy food! You're tummy isn't growling for nothing 
9. Eat out: yep, I said it...enjoy that new Italian restaraunt down the street. Order a salad with your meal so you're more likely not to eat the entire plate. Or, pack up half of it before it's served. 
10. I just ate: it's 8 p.m. and you're feeling hungry because you had dinner at 5 p.m......ok, so eat! Nobody said you couldn't have a cup of popped popcorn or some frozen grapes....there is no rule where you can't eat after dinner. Silly.Enjoy  xoxo

Thanks Em!! 

2 comments:

Jordan and Amber Swarbrick said...

love this post!! I took an entire class last semester on body image, weight management, and self esteem. And this is exactly what we learned about!!
xoxo Amber

Cummards said...

Love this! So realistic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...